Broadsheet, The Blog

Two Lady Artists with Bees in Their Bonnets

20 September 2006

Ghost of Gertrude Stein channeled at UN


You probably heard the sound bite, but it's better than that. Yesterday at the U.N. General Assembly Hugo Chavez spontaneously composed some modernist poetry while bashing Bush and also seeming to trash any chance Venezuela has of a rotating seat on the UN Security Council:

"The devil is right at home. The devil. The devil himself is right in the house. And the devil came here yesterday. Yesterday the devil came here, right here. Right here. And it smells of sulphur still today, this table that I am now standing in front of. Yesterday, ladies and gentleman, from this rostrum, the president of the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer to as the devil, came here, talking as if he owned the world, truly as the owner of the world."

It is kind of beautiful, isn't it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Broad*Sheet said...

how come noone makes speeches like that at our BS meetings? You gotta love it!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Broad*Sheet said...

I drank my beer last night as if I were the owner of the world. Truly, the owner of the world.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Broad*Sheet said...

and I said, the devil is in this bar, sitting right across from me! the devil. making me eat puffed cheese snacks. as if she truly owned the world.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I found interesting was the juxtaposition of the opening of the UN and Clinton's Global Initiative. The UN was packed with rhetoric - some amusing, all of it smug - and the Initiative had people of very different political persuasions working together. It is so much easier to divide than unite.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Broad*Sheet said...

Plus the way the UN general assembly is set up (at least the parts we see on C-span) is that each person just pontificates to the chamber, one at a time. There is not any semblance of dialogue or even conversation. I can only hope/assume these happen elsewhere off-camera.

ML you are making me wonder if Clinton's Global Initiative meeting in NY was timed to coincide with the UN's general assembly meetings though, so that people would make associations and comparisons.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be surprised if the timing was carefully considered, but I suspect the consideration was the upcoming election, not the UN. You listen to Clinton and then Bush, and my god the difference is so clear.

What I find so fascinating is how former presidents use their time. What has a single Republican ex-president done of note? And when this current president leaves office, does anyone expect him to do anything but fish, bicycle and clear brush? I guess if we're very lucky he won't mess anything else up.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home